Skip to content
- Database Description (DBD) – Cliff notes sent when neighbors first exchange topology information when forming a relationship.
- Link State Request – Sent by a router during the initial exchange (EXSTART) phase after it has received DBD’s from a forming neighbor requesting details of routes it doesn’t know about.
- Link State Update – Sent by forming neighbor after receiving LSR above. Contains a bunch of LSA’s.
- LSA – Information about individual networks.
- Link State Acknowledgement (LSACK) – the reliability mechanism for OSPF (OSPF is it’s own protocol!). Sent in response to every OSPF packet except Hello. Makes OSPF reliable.