- RIP still runs on UDP/521
- Still considered distance vector protocol.
- Still has a maximum hop-count of 15.
- 16 hops is considered unreachable.
- Split Horizon is turned on by default.
- Still as Administrative Distance of 120.
- Uses Multicast Address FF02::9 for all its communication.
- No network command to enable anymore – done on the interface.
- Uses link local addresses for its multicast communication.
IPv6 routing needs to be enabled: ipv6 unicast-routing
Enable RIP: ipv6 rip <tag> enable under the chosen interface.
R1(config-if)#ipv6 rip CBTNUGGETS enable
The tag defined is locally significant only
show ipv6 protocols – shows interfaces configured and tag.
show ipv6 route – shows IPv6 routing table.
When RIP has been enabled, it is possible to use the ipv6 router rip TAG command to adjust various RIP parameters including:
- Distribute Lists
- Max Parths
- Poison Reverse
- Split Horizon